Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Lent

This Lent I gave up something a little untraditional. I decided to give up $1/day for a different charity each day. I thought it would be a good way to start giving more to other people. And since it was a small amount there wouldn't be any excuse as to why I wasn't giving. Every year I give up pop, or potatoes, or even red meat, it's hard work and I really don't feel any sense of accomplishment when Lent is over. I've just basically tortured myself for no gain whatsoever.

I do have to say that this year, I have not tortured myself at all. In fact, I love Lent this year. I love giving money to different charities. I love looking at their websites and helping someone else. I know a dollar isn't much, but to me it's more of the principle attached to it. My little way of helping helped another but it taught me an invaluable lesson in generosity; who can't spare a dollar here or there for someone else?

Also, it's been very fun to research different charities. I never tell anyone no at checkouts anymore and when I see a worthy cause I never hesitate to click on their site and give a couple bucks. I have lots of charities that are close to my heart of course, MS Society, American Heart Association, Humane Society, etc. But most of all I love giving to kids. March of Dimes, St. Jude's, and Ronald McDonald Houses are some of the best as far as I'm concerned. It's also lots of fun to put these in Reese's name, that way she can leave her sweet little legacy.

Anyway, Lent this year has not been all that self-sacrificing like it probably is meant to be. Sure I am sacrificing a little money but I am gaining so much that I would gladly give up my Pepsi to help someone else....thankfully though, I don't have to. (whew my blood pressure went up there for a minute!)

No comments: