Today, in between tending to a needy family, I whipped up some scones. Ha, I whipped up some scones is hardly at all what I did. What I did do is make a gigantic mess for some scones that really weren't all that great. I was sorely disappointed in how these taste. Not because I did something wrong just that they were kind of blah tasting. They needed some cayenne pepper or garlic. Note to self: next time substitute chives for the dill and use some spice of some kind.
Here is how it went. First it's really important to work with everything while it is really cold so I worked in steps so I could keep stuff chilled. I'm not that quick because I had to keep checking the recipe so steps were good for me. I cut up butter, cheese, and dill. I broke eggs and beat them together with half and half and measured out flour into my mixer. I mixed them together in steps until a dough formed.
Then I rolled them out on to a floured surface. This is where the mess really began. The dough was a little wet still so I really had to flour everything up. Once I did that, I had no problem at all.
Next, I cut them into triangles and put them on a cookie sheet.
I baked them for 20 minutes and when there were about 3 minutes left I sprinkled the rest of the cheese on the top. It all melted to the bottom of the hot pan. Honestly, that was the best part, the crunchy cheese on the pan, mmmmmm.
These weren't too bad, but I was looking forward to something with a little more bang. And, the mess was horrid. I don't want to even look in my kitchen.