Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Back to School

Today was back to school (with kids) after a long 2 1/2 week break. The days after break are the best because the kids come in shy and quiet. They know the routine and what to do but they are feeling things out to make sure that everything is how it should be in the world. Only today it didn't quite happen that way.

For the first time in seven years, they came back with a vengeance. They were ready and wild. They had a million questions and millions of stories to share. Some were over-tired and slap happy. Others were used to being the center of attention (not unlike my own child, mind you) so they got a little pissy when things didn't quite go their own way. I even had a little gossip going on about me behind my back. I think it's a little out of balance when eight year old girls try to start stuff about the teacher behind her back.

Overall though today was a good day. The kids may have been a little hyper but they remembered how 3rd grade rolls. They were happy to see me and I was happy to see them. We started a free-for-everyone breakfast program so they were well-fed and nourished. So we're back in the saddle again and hopefully we will be in for a nice journey on the second half.

No comments: