Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Concert, A Few Steps, and A Whole Bunch of New Words

Language is blossoming aroun here like crazy.  Each day brings a new word or sound.  Lately Reese says, uh-oh, dog, bye, Mommom, DaDa, babies, moo, nigh-nigh (night-night), doot (that), a very angry UGH (I like to pretend that means please), lo (hello), dah (ta-dah), up and some other random sound that don't mean much.  It is so fun to watch her learn new words.  Before we know it she's going to be saying "no" with a vengence!

She is also starting to take her first few steps.  This is a pretty slow-going process but she will venture out and take 2-3 at a time.  That's the real excitement for me, oh how I love to watch her confidence build and her courage take her farther out of our hands.  It's like an adventure she is stepping out on.  We cheer and clap and she always get so excited for herself.  I've worked all week to get this on video but the minute I get the recorder out, well, she's done. 

And last but not least, the concert.  Reese and I went to my 3rd graders music program on Tuesday night.  The teachers had to do some reading so we sat in the front facing the audience.  I was incredibly nervous about it because I knew I'd have to leave her to get up and read.  With her age, handing her to a stranger and walking away is the equivalent of an ax murderer coming in my house.  But she sat quiet and still and even put on a delightful performance of her own.  At the last number, Reese decided she would like to sing along.  She proudly sang her little heart out, "aaahhhhh, aaaaahhhhhhhh, aaahhhhhhh," she sang and then clapped and clapped for herself.  Many members of the audience stopped to watch my daughter instead of their own, and even the kids singing had to stop and stare at some points because it was so stinkin' cute.  The clapping for herself was really the icing on the cake. 

So, my little girl is growing up.  In tiny little ways but still growing all the same.  Singing happily with the choir, talking up a storm, and taking a few steps out on her new adventure.  She is becoming such a sweet little girl with so much personality and I just adore her.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Yay, Reese! Just wait, one day she will be doing mostly crawling and then before you know it she is walking everywhere and not crawling at all....then the real fun begins!