Thursday, September 2, 2010

School Days

This marks the 3rd week of school. The sprinting marathon is now over for the most part and we've settled in to a nice routine. I have a pretty nice class, and I can honestly look at all of them and think, "what a good group of kids." I have become the alpha female, thank goodness and overall I really enjoy this group of kids. Here are a few things I have noticed though.

1. Girl drama starts early. I had none of this last year because well, they were perfect. Today I had a sobbing, hysterical girl because someone said she was "dating" someone....ahhh jeez.

2. I would gladly take a class of 15 boys and 5 girls instead of the other way around. Not so lucky on that this year.

3. Parents love spelling tests. Every year I get a call as to why I don't do this particular part of school. I'm not going to go into depth as to my philosophy on this subject, I just don't do it. You can spell or you can't. If you can, good for you, if you can't, well, there's always spell check.

4. Ending a story by saying, "...and then I went to bed" is NOT an effective ending.

5. I have had many siblings in the past 7 years. Last year I had almost 7 kids who also had a sibling in my class. But this year I cannot call J anything but L; luckily he doesn't seem to mind. (This is also the family that I saw at the bar once when I was absolutely too drunk to be around kids, the boy in my class was only 2 at the time. In my defense, they had a baby in a bar.)

6. Kids are surprisingly obedient when you phrase directions in a Simon Says game.

7. Pencil sharpening is always a battle.

8. The kids you loved the most always come visit.

9. Some kids just need more hugs than others. And if you stand in my dance space and expect a hug constantly, you are probably going to get on my nerves really fast.

10. I'm gonna give Jenny Y. a little amen here when I say, Silly Bands are best left at home.

So, there are good things about this year. There is definitely a lot of training to be done still. Will they be an epic class like last year? No, probably not. Will they turn out to be a little better from where they started? I'd like to think so. And let's hope they blow the MAP test out like we did last year, that would be even better!

No comments: