Friday, September 10, 2010

Famous in a Small Town

It's no secret that I love Miranda Lambert; love her. She's just the kind of person I aspire to be. Beautiful, for one. But that's not the point I'm trying to make.

The point is, Miranda sings Famous in a Small Town. It's really just about Brookfield or Meadville or wherever.

"'Round here you get just as much attention, cheering at the high school football game."
Really this is true. Every fall Friday night I felt like a celebrity. The crowd's eyes were in my (general) direction. I had 15 minutes of fame as the cheerleading captain and Homecoming Queen candidate.

"Every grandma, in-law, ex-girlfriend maybe knows it just a little too well."
Okay, I can think of at least 6 examples of this statement. Everybody has their story to tell of the version of the town gossip. Sure, gossip starts somewhere, but usually it's along the grapevine that the juicy details are stated. And I'm sure somewhere when Dustin and I got together the switchboards lit up.

I think she conveys her point pretty well in this song. Every small town has a little story going on behind the scenes. Someone's pregnant or broken up or getting married. Everybody has their small town story of something that made them famous (or infamous). Some stories are better than others. Some stories can be told on the internet, some are best left for the memories of a fall bonfire. But all this talk of stories and memories leaves me to wonder, what makes you "famous?"

No comments: