Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Last Sunday

I'm feeling a little icky tonight knowing that this is my last Sunday. Sunday's are usually a day of dread for me but summer changes all of that. I am so excited to spend each week with my little girl that Sunday night passes without much thought to the usual dread of the upcoming week. But this Sunday I know it's my last and I better make the best of the week ahead.

Don't get me wrong, I love being a teacher. I really love the kiddos who come in smiling each day. And I love getting up and having a purpose and a routine too. It's nice to have a reason to take a shower and put on a little make up each day. I also take a lot of pride in my career. It is important to me to be a good teacher and to make even one day better for a kid.

But tonight we played airplane with dinner and we cuddled on the bed before bathtime. She came up and put her head on my lap and I rubbed her back. I put her in a bubble bath and we giggled all through it. She looked up at me with her little triangled eyelashes and wet hair and smiled and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I am lucky to have these evening routines no matter what, but I know in just a few short days time someone else will be rocking her to sleep for her nap and someone else will have to shield themselves from flying peas that don't really want to be swallowed.

School starts in just one week and wow has this summer flown by. Soon it will be time for jeans and bonfires and football games on Friday nights. And since I can't comfort myself with the thought of saying goodbye each day to Reese I will have to be thankful for the summer I had with her and the Thanksgiving break only a few short weeks away, followed by Christmas and Martin Luther King Jr Day.... So, I guess, thank goodness for having the best job where I get the best of both worlds. Thank goodness for keeping my sanity by getting out of this house and thank goodness for coming home and having dinner and story time but mostly thank goodness for little girls who love their mommys only slightly less than the mommy loves her.

No comments: