Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The First Day of School

My oh my! The first day of school. It is like sprinting through a marathon. Fast paced, all day long. Yesterday I barely ate and for two days now I haven't been able to use the bathroom.

I have a good class so far. Lots of girls, and I wonder who will win the title of Alpha. I hope I do.

I do have to admit that I'm mourning the loss of about 19 4th graders. Their beautiful faces stop to say good morning or give me a quick hug and they're off to bigger and better things. But I realized something today as Andrew headed down the hall. I told him to have a great day and he stopped, looked me in the eye and said, "I hope you have a great day too Mrs. Neal." That is what I taught them. That is what they took away from me and that is what makes me proud.

And as I start this year I think of the things I took for granted and I am stopping and slowing down. I am making sure chairs are pushed in, polite words are said, and that 26 kiddos remember to pay attention to the world around them. Maybe they'll get 3s and 4s on the MAP, maybe they won't. But maybe they'll stop and look me in the eye to tell me to have a great day someday.

No comments: