Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Our Little....Linebacker?

Most everyone knows, Reese was a preemie. We sat in a NICU room for 10 grueling days and cried and begged her to eat 40 mL of formula. I sobbed on the shoulder of a nurse when they had to begin pumping food in her stomach because she wouldn't eat. We pinched her and tickled her, shook her (gently) to wake her up just to get her to eat SOMETHING. Finally she began to eat.

And eat.

And eat.

And eat.

And now, the kid can put it away. She eats more than enough and we don't have to worry too often that she is going to waste away.

We have started now on the fun journey of baby food; I enjoy this phase a lot. I stand in the aisle at the store and think, "Oh, yum, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes; I bet she'll love all those!" And then she does. She has never turned away from anything. And I think it's wonderful. I have visions of a life where she eats her broccoli and begs for more squash.

But now there is a worry that perhaps she is eating too much. Sure she's a growing girl (and I never want to go back to the days of losing weight and crying over a feeding tube). Sure she's eating around what the guidelines say. But she's a little short for her weight so I hope that we raise a petite little girl who eats petite portions and always puts her napkin in her lap. And I hope that we don't raise a little linebacker who is scarfing down calories to beef herself up for the big game.

No comments: