Sunday, March 25, 2012

Laundry Detergent

Today we woke up knowing we needed a trip to Wal-Mart.  Dustin came out and said we were out of laundry detergent.  We needed formula, a new sound machine/CD player to keep the baby asleep, we needed stuff for lunch and the list kept piling up and all I could see was money going straight to Sam Walton.  So I had seen on pinterest that people experimented with making their own laundry detergent and we thought we'd give it a try.  There were several recipes and we decided to make the powder kind strictly for storage reasons....the liquid just makes SO much.

Here are the links if you are interested:
Liquid:  http://beingcreativetokeepmysanity.blogspot.com/2010/11/homemade-laundry-soap.html

Powder: http://randomosityblog.com/2011/11/frugal-friday-make-your-own-he-safe-detergent.html (this site answers a bunch of questions that you might have and this is the one I made.)



I just bought all these ingredients, grated the bar soap, stuck it in a container and called it good.  I added up my total with everything including 3 storage containers I spend $16.22.  And most people say it can last up to a year!  The container in the picture holds about half of the recipe so we stored the rest in a similar container under the sink. 

Let me know if you give it a try.  I'm curious to see how well it works for everyone, but we are really excited to do laundry today, and if you know me, that's a big deal!!

1 comment:

Kristy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.