Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Tantrums

Everyone knows the Terrible Twos are real.  It must be so hard to know what you want and not be able to communicate it with others so you can have it.  A mom can teach words, teach sign language, do whatever in her power, but the fact remains, tantrums happen.....says the mom of a fairly well-behaved 18 month old. 

I have caught a quick glimpse to what tantrums really look like and I'm gonna tell you, I'm afraid.  What do I do with this strong-willed girl who cannot tell me what she wants?  That's scary enough.  But what really frightens me is when she asks for something, says please, but still can't have it.  Case in point, yesterday she wanted Chips Ahoy cookies for snack.  She saw them on the refrigerator, pointed, said please but did not get them.  She didn't need cookies for snack.  She had a perfectly good snack.  So, that was it, let the tantrum begin.

I don't know what I'm going to do with this new stage.  I guess ignore it and it'll go away.  I guess I need to stick to my guns and say no and mean it.  Ugh, if only real life was that easy.  But I do try and I'll keep trying and trying and trying.  And maybe one day I'll have a sweet little lady who folds her hands when she goes in a store instead of stealing Hello Kitty chapstick and throwing it at her mother.  A girl can dream right?

No comments: