Sunday, January 3, 2010

I get by with a little help from my friends.

John Lennon's lyrics have always inspired something in me. Even when I was in high school this quote always seemed to just sum it up. I couldn't get by without them. I've always been a people person, I thrive best when I am around people I love.

When I was in high school it was Jenny, Mary, and Amber. I loved going out with them. We drank more than any boy, we painted banners and hung them on the underpass for each other's birthdays. We dragged Main until we got dizzy. We sang this horribly dirty song that causes me to blush now (OMG if Reese ever sings that I will kill her!). And when I needed something they were there. I look back at high school with such fondness because of those friends.

In college, I made tons of new friends. Including my best friend, Marsha, who introduced me to my now best friend, Dustin. I made work friends at the church day care who really helped me along my moral journey. I made school friends who I griped about classes and studied with. I made going out friends who I partied with (a lot). As I went through my journey, I never really lost anyone, I just picked some up as I went. But without them I don't know where I'd be.

Now that I am an adult, I have a new version of what friendship should be. Now I have made some friends who help me in ways that I didn't know I'd ever need. These are friends who listen without judgment (or with judgement when needed), they are the ones you call with questions about diaper rash, or the ones who send you a beautiful Christmas ornament with your new family's names on it. They are the friends who comment on your 5,000 facebook pictures. But most of all, when you are getting ready to face a tough day they are the ones with quotes, words of wisdom, and words of love ready to cheer you on.

I am proud to say that my next generation of friends still has all the important ones there but has also added a few great ones. And I am just as proud to know that new or old, I have the best friends a person could ask for. And tomorrow, when I face a difficult day, I will know that, I get by with a little help from my friends.

No comments: