Friday, January 8, 2010

Cry it out

Yesterday, we took Reese for her 2 month check up. She hasn't been sleeping well at all and we were ready to discuss this with her doctor. We do a fabulous bedtime routine but we still have her in our room at the foot of our bed. We slept down there too so that it would be easier to comfort her without having to get up each time she cried. Which lately has been about every 2 hours or so.

Anyway, we told our doctor that our 2 month old daughter (3 weeks adjusted age with her preemie status) was up every couple hours and we didn't know what to do. She sat there and "ummmmed and hmmmmed." Finally giving us the diagnosis of, "well maybe it's time to do some tough love and let her cry it out." She was a resident so I was waiting for our regular doctor to come in and say that was ridiculous but he didn't. He said the same! I was not just mad, I was seriously offended.

Needless to say, I wasn't about to try this method. I did agree that maybe she needed to get out of our room though. So, like I do, I came up with a plan. Last night I bumped her bedtime back to 9:00, Dustin learned the swaddle out of The Happiest Baby on the Block, so we tried a slightly different method to that, and we slept at the normal end of the bed. (We need to warm her room up a little before she sleeps there full time.)

And guess what? That little stinker slept and slept and slept last night! She slept from 9:30 until 1:30. I got up and fed her and she was back in her bed by 2 where she proceeded to sleep until 5:30. WOW!!!! I am thrilled! So here it is, 6:30 in the morning and I'm feeling bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Dustin and I are almost giddy.

So, Doctors without Kids, you can take your Cry it Out Method and use it when your tiny baby is laying in bed needing their Mama because my baby sleeps just fine on her own!

No comments: