Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Nesting

I've read all the books and heard all the stories but I wasn't quite prepared for the obsession of nesting. Last week we found a few fleas on Miller, even after we had applied Frontline on both dogs. Dustin simply said, "we need to pull out the couch cushions and vacuum," and the wheels started turning. I began obsessing about the poor quality of vacuum we had and then our washer wasn't quite up to par and before I knew it we had the furniture in the kitchen, a rug doctor and every soft surface of our home was at the laundromat being cleaned. Bug bombs were let off and we bought a new door and window to keep our house sealed up tight. I have never been so sore and so exhausted in my life, but how could I not be? 7 months pregnant and I'm on my hands and knees scrubbing base boards!
Our house is nearly as clean as a house can get, every crack and crevice is vacuumed, scrubbed and polished to a shine. But that doesn't mean the obsession of nesting has ended. In my mind all I can think about is getting my front door painted, buying under the bed containers for sheets, and making sure my ceiling fans are clean. Why? Because the powers of motherhood are smart, that's why. What mother has time to make sure the space under the bookshelf is clutter-free when attending to the needs of a newborn? It's all part of this beautiful phenomenon called nesting.

No comments: