Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happiness

When I was a kid, I had a placemat that was all mine. It was a picture of a Peanuts character, I can't remember his name, but he always carried a blanket. The quote said, "Happiness is a thumb and a blanket." At the time I thought so too. I don't agree as much anymore but I do think happiness can be as simple and concrete as a thumb and a blanket. Two things that make you feel comforted can make all the difference. All people need different things at different times in their lives, happiness is different as a kid than it is as an adult. It is different before you become a parent than it is after. As a teacher some things can make your day that others would find hilarious. But what is the answer to the question of what makes a person happy? It's almost as broad as the secret of life quest. So, what makes me happy....
A cold beer and a bonfire, falling asleep in the car during a long trip, forgiving an old grudge, the cold side of a pillow, seeing the face of someone I love when they are as excited to see me as I am to see them, a visit with a girlfriend, catching my husband checking me out (bonus points that I'm pregnant and fat), a great book, diet pepsi and chocolate chip cookies, and feeling my baby kick in my womb. These feelings are simple but each make me smile. So even though I've outgrown my thumb and blanket, it still only takes a simple pleasure to find the happiness I need in my life.

No comments: