Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Ready or Not

The past month has been dedicated to rest and relaxation (ha!) and preparing for Baby #2.  We have all had our share of contributions to getting ready, not the least of which is Reese's sacrifice of her Mama's energy level and lap space.  But we've managed to squeeze some fun in too.

Reese is getting a little suspicious about what exactly is going on.  For one thing, she is VERY tired of not having enough room in Mommy's lap.  She used to pick my leg up and move it so she could sit on it, now she just looks at me like, "really?" and has me sit in a V so she has room to snuggle in.  She also would really appreciate the decrease in belly circumference so she can rest her head comfortably.  But she's accomodating. 

For her baby brother, she made a couple of sock puppets.  I use the word "made" loosely here.  Mostly she squeezed the glue on and pushed eyes down on a sock.  Then when she went to bed I reglued them so they would stay.  She picked out and glued pom pons too but I did all the cutting.  I'm just not ready to turn a 2 year old loose on a pair of scissors.  They turned out great and it was nice for her to do that.  She picked out a sack and helped me wrap them all up.  I think she'll be really excited to give them to her brother but that's where the excitement will end once she learns he's here to stay.


Last weekend she helped us pack a bag for his clothes at the hospital.  Clothes flew all over the place but she eventually picked out a couple of outfits and helped me place them in the bag.  Then she removed all the socks that we own for children and unfolded them to make a long track through the house.  I really enjoyed crawling around picking all those up.

Dustin has been preparing for the new baby with expectation fatigue.  With Reese being as early as she was, we are ready to go at any time.  A ring of the phone sends him in a flurry of concern of whether or not it's go time.  Poor baby is just worn out from all the anticipation.

And me, well, I'm not complaining.  This is what I wanted.  A baby I could call term.  A baby we can bring home when it's time.  Bags are packed, registration is complete, shots are finished, and sure it's no fun to be 9 months pregnant, but I'm happy to be here with this little guy still cooking away. He'll come when he's ready.  But please oh please don't let it be in a classroom full of kids!

Ready or not we'll be having a new addition to our family very soon.  I'm excited to learn how a heart expands with love for another.  I'm excited to see the dynamic of big sister and little brother.  Daddy and son.  Will his eyes be brown or will this one have the Olinger blues?  Will he be tall like Papa Steve or the stout football build of Donnie O.?  How quick will his mouth be with hilarious one liners? I can't wait to watch him grow (and sleep through the night).

No comments: